LEARNING HOW TO LIVE IN MY OWN BROKENNESS.

Monday, June 16, 2008

A Separate Peace

So, maybe some of you have heard of the book from which I stole this blog's title from. Not that it matters, but I think it holds a lot of meaning.

The book in and of itself was not that great. But now that I think of it, and how life is everything BUT peace, it holds a lot of meaning. I won't go into all the gory details, but sometimes we just get so caught up in life and the rush of things, that we start to lose something. And that's Peace.

Remember the saying, "Stop and smell the roses"? Yeah well maybe it's time we do that (not literally). But we should just slow down a bit, and enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Like PEACE.

There's this Nooma video called Noise, and it brings forth an amazing point that most people won't think of. It talked of how we, as people are always surrounded my noise, such as Music, Movies, TV, Traffic, Radio, Everything. That we hardly even know what quiet sounds like. Is it that we are afriad of the lack of noise, because somehow the noise of our everyday lives becomes our home and comfort? Think about it. Why do you think ipods are such a big hit? Because you can listen to them anywhere, anytime, all the time. Try to think of the last time you rode in your car, or read a book, or did homework without music or the TV on. Yeah, it's been a while hasn't it?

Just yesterday I was drving the truck home from VA Beach which is about a 35-40 min. drive. But i did this without the radio, my ipod, or my CD's playing. I just sat there. And drove. I cannot tell you how much better i felt when i got home. My head was clear and my mood was good and i felt cleaner. I'm not saying music or anything is bad, heck it's my life, but sometimes we should let the silence be golden. Because do you know what I was able to accomplish in the silence of that drive? A conversation with God. Yes. I prayed almost the whole way. And i did this because nothing else was distracting me from talking to Him.

So I'm here to challenge you, to turn the volume on Life down. You just might experience something you've needed for a while.

-Harry

No comments: